Comprehensive Sickness Insurance For EU Citizens

The freedom of movement of economically non-active EU citizens and their dependents is subject to the comprehensive sickness insurance requirement.

Economically non-active citizens are students and their family members  (spouse and dependent children) and self-sufficient persons, including pensioners.

What Constitutes Comprehensive Sickness Insurance?

The UKVI’s definition of ‘comprehensive sickness insurance’ is as follows:

‘You can accept an EEA national or their family member as having CSI if they hold any form of insurance that will cover the costs of the majority of medical treatment they may received in the UK. You must take a proportionate approach when you consider if an insurance policy is comprehensive. For example, a policy mean contain certain exemptions but if the policy covers the applicant for medical treatment in the majority of circumstances you can accept it.’

Do I Have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance?

The UKVI forms for registration certificate and residence documents list the following items as valid evidence CSI:

  •  A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by an EEA Member State (not the UK) for students staying in the UK on a temporary basis;
  • An EU coordination form (S1, S2 and S3) covering various reciprocal arrangements between EU Member States;
  • Private comprehensive sickness insurance.

 NOTE: at this point in time access to the NHS does not constitute comprehensive sickness insurance.

CSI And Permanent Residence In The UK For Pensioners:

An EU national, who having worked in the UK, decides to retire might not need to meet the comprehensive sickness insurance requirement.  Whether they need to hold or have held comprehensive sickness insurance would depend on how many years they resided/worked in the UK before retiring.

The conditions to meet are as follows:

  • you must have terminated your activity as a worker or self-employed and –
  • you must have reached the age at which you are entitled to a state pension on the date on which you terminate your activity; or
  • you must have, if you were a worker, ceased working to take early retirement;
  • you must have pursued your activity as a worker or self-employed in the UK for at least a year prior to ceasing work; and –
  • you must have resided in the UK for more than 3 years prior to ceasing work.

So if you, for example, retire before having resided in the UK for 3 years, then you will to wait remain in the UK for another 2 years as a self-sufficient person before gaining permanent residence. As a self-sufficient person you will need to hold comprehensive sickness insurance.

Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions on any of the above:
Join The Debate